Thursday, April 23, 2015

Module 4 - Disrupting the norm

A disruptive innovation is one that dramatically shifts the existing evolutionary path of one or more technologies in a significant way (Laureate Education, 2014). In other words, the regularly pace of development is thrown all higgledy-piggledy because something completely unexpected comes to roost in the barn. Think Tetris to video games, or Tesla’s batteries to solar power, or even Jar-Jar Binks to Star Wars. Each of these things forever and irrevocably altered their environments, and not always in good ways.
Sometimes, items of technology that seem as if they will be disruptive when they come onto the stage turn out to be not much more than a blip on the radar. For example, consider the potential of SixthSense Technology. This seemingly miraculously cost effective innovation entered the stage from the mind of one man, Pranav Mistry. Admittedly, when I first watched his Ted Talk in 2009, I was still new to my research into educational technology and thrilled at the possibility of interacting with my digital self without clunky IO devices like keyboards, mice, or smartphones. This one device could replace everything from my phone, to my camera, to my laptop, and my Nintendo Wii.
More than that, it seemed a triumph for the little guy. Persevering with an invention that was cost-effective for the masses and that any moderately interested do-it-yourselfer could build. Socially, this could begin to level the playing field between the “haves” and “have-nots.” This was not a $1,500 lease for Google Glass; it was awesome technology for the masses at $350 a pop! It could create a more seamless and natural interaction with my digital world. The best part … I could carry it with me easily, hands-free, wherever I go. In education, the possibility of students using these devices to interact with textbooks, or collaboratively paint on the wall is exciting. Walking up to a classmate and having it instantly recognize their face and splash a label on their shirt could make sorting out social cliques a piece of virtual cake, preventing embarrassing situations where someone from the AV club tries to ask out a cheer-leader. (Of course, that would eliminate most all of Disney’s tween and high school movie collection, but I’m sure they would think of something.)
Ok, maybe those last two are a bit of a jest. However, they emphasize a key point about SixthSense technology. For all of its potential, there are many significant drawbacks, which, in my opinion, have led to its more-or-less complete lack of advancement or adoption since that Ted Talk six years ago. First, it is nearly impossible to use while moving. A significant advantage of our current smartphones is that their physicality allows them to be used and handled easily while in motion. Second, while dialing from the palm of your hand is interesting, it also seems prone to over-sensitivity and positional glitches. Again, the current form factor works very well because of its consistency and ease. Finally, and this is a big one, it needs a wall, or other stationary object upon which to project in order to function. I imagine entire storefronts, malls, and parks having integrated “standing zones” where you can stop to use your SixthSense. Instead of people walking around and staring at their phones, they will be standing around staring at walls. It has potential, but in its current, six-year old form, it has severe usage restrictions that I feel have contributed to its lack of evolution and adoption.

So, to predict how many year I believe the SixthSense has left before another emerging technology or disruptive innovation replaces it, I have to answer a negative six. I can see where some people may feel it is a disruptive innovation. However, I believe it is more of a one-hit wonder, destined to follow in the footsteps of A-Ha or Flock of Seagulls. 


References
Laureate Education (Producer). (2014). David Thornburg: Disruptive technologies [Video file]. Baltimore, MD: Author.

Mistry, P. (2010). About. Retrieved from http://www.pranavmistry.com/projects/sixthsense/

TED India. (Producer). (2009). The thrilling potential of SixthSense technology [Video file]. Retrieved fromhttp://www.ted.com/talks/pranav_mistry_the_thrilling_potential_of_sixthsense_technology.html

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:20 PM

    Brad,

    My first post disappeared. Sigh. I stated that your post was great! I wondered what could of been done with Sixth Sense' to make it more successful. I also saw that you talked about it being a one hit wonder. Why?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tyese,

    I am not sure what could make it more successful. While I am intrigued with the idea of gestural control, I am not sure how a projection based system like that could surmount the challenges I mention. No matter what, it needs some surface upon which to work. While this could be cool at workstations, and other places where the environment could be setup to work well with this technology, as a replacement for our everyday mobile phone and tablet usage, I think it leaves a lot to be desired.

    The one-hit-wonder comment is reflective of the feeling I have about this particular Ted Talk. I have seen it referenced many times in the past 6 years, and yet nothing more has really come of it other than being referenced. It is not a comment on Pranav's ability or future potential, but a metaphor for SixthSense's quick rise to fame and subsequent stagnation.

    Does that make sense?

    Brad

    ReplyDelete