Friday, June 26, 2009

US DOE Report

In a recent conversation with an instructor, I indicated my strong feeling that students in an online environment have greater opportunity to achieve course objectives more completely than traditional face-to-face instruction. Today, the US Department of Education released an analysis of blended and online education as compared to traditional education. At face value, its key findings indicate:

  1. "Learning outcomes for students who engaged in online learning exceeded those of students receiving face-to-face instruction, with an average effect size of +0.24 favoring online conditions."


  2. "Instruction combining online and face-to-face elements had a larger advantage relative to purely face-to-face instruction than did purely online instruction."
The press release states "the studies of more recent online instruction included in this meta-analysis found that, on average, online learning, at the post-secondary level, is not just as good as but more effective than conventional face-to-face instruction."

Upon a more thorough analysis, I am certain we will find some concerns with the reported findings. As a community of practitioners it is important for us to evaluate these findings and compare them to our own research and experience.
  • What does this mean for you?
  • Your school?
  • Your students?
  • The future of online education?
The significance of the US Department of Education's support of online education is not to be overlooked. In my opinion, it is one more indication of online education's maturation and acceptance.

The full report can be found at http://www.ed.gov/rschstat/eval/tech/evidence-based-practices/finalreport.pdf

2 comments:

  1. Thank-you for sharing! Very informative information... I do sometimes wonder if the fact that I am getting my degree on line will allow someone with a traditional school background to get hired before me. I think that on-line classes are far different than they used to be. I had taken a couple many years back and did not care for them. There was an effort toward community, but it wasn't there. I think Walden has done a good job with this aspect. It reminds me of the middle school concept where you have the whole, but you also have pods within the whole to help feel a part of a small unit within the greater whole. I am probably more mature and disciplined at this point also:)

    I do sometimes miss sitting in a class and the environment that surrounds that. However, I like the flexibility and the fact that I do not have to take time away from my family. I can work on school when they are busy. I also gain an hour minimum by not traveling to class.

    Your post was food for thought...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have worried about the same thing. And while I have no illusions that this report by the DOE will necessarily change the way my State University system looks at online degrees, I do think its findings, and their willingness to publish them is a step in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete